Update 6th May 2009: You might want to read this first…
A milestone has been reached today with the addition of Channel 5’s Demand Five service to the list of DRM-free services that get_iplayer can index, search and record. The following are now supported:
- BBC iPlayer TV – up to 3200 kbps HD 720p H.264 / Quicktime / MP4
- ITV player Catch-up / Classic TV – 384 kbps+ WMV / ASF
- Channel4 4oD Catch-up TV – up to 500 kbps H.264 / MP4
- Channel5 Demand Five TV – up to 720 kbps H.264 / MP4
- BBC iPlayer Radio – 128 – 192 kbps MP3 / AAC and Realaudio
- BBC Podcasts – 96 – 192 kbps MP3 / AAC
- BBC iPlayer TV subtitles – SubRip / srt
To download and search programmes use:
get_iplayer –type=TYPE <other options>
Where TYPE is either ‘tv’ (BBC TV), ‘itv’, ‘ch4’, ‘five’, ‘radio’ (BBC Radio), or ‘podcast’ (BBC).
For full instructions see the documentation page
Now I’m off for a beer….