[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead
Linuxcentre • View topic - Downloads failing since Thursday 19th

Downloads failing since Thursday 19th

Help for using get_iplayer

Re: Downloads failing since Thursday 19th

Postby linuxcentre » 22 Feb 2010 19:25

neuralnet wrote:
Then the BBC will know exactly which household watches what - nice privacy invasion which will get so much push back from the public (except for those who don't value privacy I guess)

/offtopic - Fair point, but there are ways and means of implementing any such technology that makes it possible to break the link between the Licence/IP and data requested. Seriously though, most people don't care or know how to protect their privacy..

Well yes, but only technology that you'd have to trust the BBC to implement - there would be no way of anonymising the license info unless you just chose to use a random selection of everyone elses license numbers.

I think it's probably incorrect to assume that most people don't care about privacy (although even if only a minority did it is still a major issue...) I agree though that most people don't know how to protect their online privacy - you've just have to look at the popularity of social networking sites to see that. Many people using those services, IMHO, **do** care about privacy very much yet aren't aware that by simply using such services, even with 'privacy' settings switched on, completely erodes it. It would be the same with your proposed way forward with iPlayer stuff.

neuralnet wrote:
/ontopic - Earlier today the pvr downloads were coming down in such tiny chunks it was discarding more data than it was downloading, plus the speed of downloads also seemed to be badly affected.. happily tho, the situation is now much better & it's almost back to 100% (barring a few disconnects). I'm guessing the BBC were testing new settings.. Is it any better for you jhsrennie?

Yeah - I was waiting for them to do that next :-)
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby thekernel » 23 Feb 2010 05:01

Just confirming the same behaviour. FYI: I use openSUSE Linux 11.2
I get repeated errors as quoted already but it always seems to pick it back up and the resulting downloads seem fine.
thekernel

Postby jhsrennie » 23 Feb 2010 07:56

I don't see what the problem is with the BBC knowing which of their programs I watch.

There's no hackery or copyright violation here. I just want to watch my favourite programs at the time of my choosing, and I want to watch them through my favourite media player (XBMC) so I don't want DRM protection. I don't redistribute the programmes and I delete them when I've watched them. Neither I nor the BBC are doing anything illegal or unethical. If the BBC want me to log in using my TV licence that's just fine by me. The BBC are not bad guys and by making all this stuff available they're doing me a great service!

JR
jhsrennie

Postby linuxcentre » 23 Feb 2010 08:26

No, I think you missed my point. Of course it's not about hackery or copyright violation, it's purely a privacy thing. Like you, I watch my TV on a STB when I choose and almost always watch within a few weeks then delete. In fact if it's there for more than that I usually delete the material anyway to save disk space. So a bit like when I had my standard PVR really - just more flexible. Whether you value your privacy in certain areas is definitely a personal matter but not giving someone the option is where I have the problem. Yes, IMHO the TV license is good value for money and, to be more consistent, the gov't probably should extend the law to cover non-live consumption of non-broadcast TV material like the iPlayer. I guess when habits in TV watching change over time they'll have to consider it.
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby JohnDinton » 23 Feb 2010 10:54

Requiring the licence number to be entered may be better than the present crude restriction of not allowing downloads to IPs which appear to be abroad. Why shouldn't I watch programmes for whose production I have paid while I am abroad?

Online privacy is difficult on a wider scale. I have to give my ISP a username and password. It keeps a record of the IP address it has given me at any time, and such record keeping is now being required by law. Some people use ISPs which are also content providers, so what they watch can be monitored. Amazon monitors my book buying, and tries to sell me other things on the basis of it. To maintain privacy I can go to Waterstones and pay cash, but if a book needs to be ordered there will still be a record. When we have to start paying for online newspapers they will be able to monitor the articles I read to a greater extent than they do now with cookies.
JohnDinton

Postby linuxcentre » 23 Feb 2010 23:16

JohnDinton wrote:Requiring the licence number to be entered may be better than the present crude restriction of not allowing downloads to IPs which appear to be abroad. Why shouldn't I watch programmes for whose production I have paid while I am abroad?

Maybe that would be a good privacy trade-off? I guess it's all about getting something for giving up some amount of privacy. I suppose we all have our different criteria on how we value certain aspects of our privacy also.
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby thekernel » 24 Feb 2010 06:28

neuralnet wrote:I can confirm I have exactly the same problem, but only became evident today (22nd Feb). I was having RTMP errors downloading "flashvhigh1" and "flashhd" modes initally which prompted the upgrade, after I upgrading to v2.67 (combined package) I get the same errors.

ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, no CRYPTO support!

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 1.40%), try resuming

Hopefully the BBC aren't locking down the streams.. but it wouldn't be a _total_ surprise if they were. Although I wouldn't be against having to use my TV licence number to unlock downloading programmes.

The: ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, no CRYPTO support!
suggest to me that implementation of encryption is on the cards or being tested at least.
Just means I'll have to use bandwidth during peak periods and watch in a browser if iplayer no longer works.
thekernel

Postby linuxcentre » 24 Feb 2010 07:59

There is an interesting thread on this at the BBC iPlayer Foums because they've broken the XBMC iPlayer plugin also as a result of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/F733 ... 127&skip=0
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby philip_c » 24 Feb 2010 10:31

Some more info here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/24 ... ification/

Can anyone confirm whether or not it will still be possible - using some combination of settings presumably - to continue using get_iplayer to download the programmes? I've really enjoyed the benfits of using this software and I don't like the idea of losing the functionality and having to use a browser.

Thanks.
philip_c

Postby bvm » 24 Feb 2010 10:40

this does have large repercussions surely though? It certainly breaks streaming. Where do 'we' go from here?
bvm

PreviousNext

Return to help