[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 981: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'UTC' for 'UTC/0.0/no DST' instead
Linuxcentre • View topic - [solved] HD Programmes in the PVR

[solved] HD Programmes in the PVR

Help for using get_iplayer

[solved] HD Programmes in the PVR

Postby andy » 22 Jan 2010 11:19

Hi,

Not sure this quite counts as a bug, but it is an 'issue'. I have get_iplayer set to download HD programmes, and it checks for updates every 2 hours or using launchd on OS X. It works brilliantly, except for one thing; HD programmes usually take longer to appear on the iPlayer than SD ones. Here's the rub - last nights Silent Witness was broadcast in HD, but appeared in SD on the iPlayer first, so get_iplayer downloaded it. It popped it in it's downloaded list and that was that. Later on, when the HD version I wanted appeared, get_iplayer ignored it as the PID was already down as fetched.

Is there a clever combination of options, or the possibility of a new feature, that will cause HD programmes to be downloaded even after a SD has already been fetched in PVR mode? Or, even better, will ignore SD versions if a HD version should be available, but isn't yet? Not sure how the latter would work, though, as the iPlayer's programme details list only the SD version until the HD one is released...

Cheers!

Andy.
andy

Re: HD Programmes in the PVR

Postby linuxcentre » 22 Jan 2010 12:09

andy wrote:I have get_iplayer set to download HD programmes, and it checks for updates every 2 hours or using launchd on OS X. It works brilliantly, except for one thing; HD programmes usually take longer to appear on the iPlayer than SD ones. Here's the rub - last nights Silent Witness was broadcast in HD, but appeared in SD on the iPlayer first, so get_iplayer downloaded it. It popped it in it's downloaded list and that was that. Later on, when the HD version I wanted appeared, get_iplayer ignored it as the PID was already down as fetched.

You could use this in your PVR search:
Code: Select all
get_iplayer --pvradd silent_witness "Silent Witness" --multimode --modes=flashhd,flashhigh
This will download *ALL* listed versions if and when they become available.

Is there a clever combination of options, or the possibility of a new feature, that will cause HD programmes to be downloaded even after a SD has already been fetched in PVR mode? Or, even better, will ignore SD versions if a HD version should be available, but isn't yet? Not sure how the latter would work, though, as the iPlayer's programme details list only the SD version until the HD one is released...

You could delay looking for the programme to give the BBC a chance topost up the HD version by ignoring the cache entry for a number of hours after it was added to the cache as follows (e.g. 12 hrs):
get_iplayer --pvradd silent_witness "Silent Witness" --modes=flashhd,flashhigh --before 12
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby andy » 23 Jan 2010 00:28

Very clever...

I shall give that a try - thanks very much! :)
andy

Postby GrahamP » 23 Jan 2010 13:00

Alternatively, using Web PVR you just include FLASHD as the only recording option for the programs you wish to have in that format
GrahamP

Postby NetworkNed » 24 Jan 2010 01:36

To deal with this I was thinking to add a feature to get_iplayer that --pvr mode skips a program if it has only recently been added to the listings. It could consider the last X hours "recent" for these purposes, or maybe just since get_iplayer was last run in --pvr mode.

Thoughts?

Would a patch for this functionality be considered?
The forum's avatar functionality is currently disabled. :(
NetworkNed

Postby linuxcentre » 24 Jan 2010 02:05

That's been a feature for quite some time. '--before <hours>'. See post my above regarding this.
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Postby NetworkNed » 24 Jan 2010 02:22

linuxcentre wrote:That's been a feature for quite some time. '--before <hours>'. See post my above regarding this.

Blimey! Sorry, I only read the first 1/2 of that post.
The forum's avatar functionality is currently disabled. :(
NetworkNed

Postby baca » 24 Jan 2010 10:30

linuxcentre wrote:You could delay looking for the programme to give the BBC a chance topost up the HD version by ignoring the cache entry for a number of hours after it was added to the cache as follows (e.g. 12 hrs):
get_iplayer --pvradd silent_witness "Silent Witness" --modes=flashhd,flashhigh --before 12

Does this work in the PVR web interface? Adding a value to the "Before" field in "advanced search options" doesn't seem to write anything different to the PVR file when setting to record a series.
baca

Postby APB » 24 Jan 2010 10:33

I'm a newbie with Web PVR so apologies if I have missed this in the documentation. An above reply said
GrahamP wrote:Alternatively, using Web PVR you just include FLASHD as the only recording option for the programs you wish to have in that format

Where can I set this as an option in Web PVR? When I select record for a program I see that its one of many modes that are listed in the mode List - is this list editable?
Allan
APB

Postby linuxcentre » 24 Jan 2010 11:15

The before option in the Advanced search options isn't saved as a PVR search because it is intended a search option. It wuld have an an undesired effect for most perople if it was added to PVR searches from the GUI. I'll may add an extra option to it in future in the Recording Options.
linuxcentre
Site Admin

Next

Return to help